Speaking of which, I need to make more of my meal bars. I'll write the recipe here: I got it from compiling a bunch of youtube videos on the subject.
Dry stuff:
2 cups of oatmeal
1 cup of whey protein
1/4 cup nuts (whatever you want here. I like almond slices or peanuts)
1/3 cup something else healthy (more nuts, cranberries, raisins, sunflower seeds, etc)
1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
Wet stuff:
1 cup of peanut butter (preferably natural)
1/4 cup honey (again. as natural as possible. there is enough sugar in this that you dont need more here)
1/4 cup milk (preferably almond milk so it wont spoil as easily when un-refrigerated)
1/4 cup apple sauce (unsweetened. again... sweet enough to not need more from apple sauce)
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (the darker the better. I used 100% and it was good but publix has 65% which is good too)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Instructions:
Mix wet stuff in a separate bowl from the dry stuff. Pop that wet stuff in the microwave for around 30 seconds or until the chocolate is melted. (stir it up after 30 seconds and see if it's good. I usually go more for 45 seconds)
Then mix the melted wet stuff in with the dry stuff until it is all gooey and there are no powdery dry spots. Then spread in a pan with your desired thickness and let cool in the fridge for at least an hour before eating. Store in fridge. I find it gets less sticky and more manageable if it is left alone over night and then cut up and flipped over.
Obviously this will not be the only thing you can eat all day but this bar as a small part with the main course filled with fruits and vegetables will keep you full and healthy (in theory... if you can keep up with the self control thing). When I'm not cheating and eating junk, I eat a bar for breakfast with an apple or banana, a bar for lunch with a salad made from lettuce, peppers and cucumbers, and then the salad or fruit again for dinner. The important thing is to have the biggest meal in the morning and taper off to have the smallest meal at night. (basically the opposite of what normally is done)
These bars are really good to eat before/after a workout and will help keep your muscle mass even while losing weight from dieting and running. (which is known for slimming the waistline as well as the muscle mass) That sounds more tailored to men but for women, fit is sexier than skinny so lift those free weights! (but not to the point of body building... unless your man is into that kind of thing)
Let me know if you try this and how it works for you :D
No comments:
Post a Comment